Pages

HomeAboutContact

6.3.14

Working From Home

What do I love about being freelance? I can work from home.

What do I hate about being freelance? I can work from home!

Yep, picking and choosing your hours and where you can work from is great, but it can also lead to distractions and there's plenty of those at home!  If you're a freelance you have to be disciplined.

[Img from Dashburst]


On the days I'm working from home I still get up around 7am, just like I would if I was going into the office.  Having a routine helps me get into work mode and I'm usually ready to face the working day by 8:30. However, there's always those little distractions there to tempt you away from your paid work.  Like the washing. Or vacuuming.

Who would have thought household chores could be so inviting!?  I confess, my house is always at it's tidiest when I'm working from home.

So how do I make sure I don't become distracted?  I allow myself to do those little household jobs which also helps to break up the day.  If I don't, I find it hard to concentrate and that's ten times worse.

I'm not the kind of person who can sit in my PJ's knowing there's a wash load which could be on. Or the floor needs mopping.  If I can get those few extra jobs done it helps me focus.

For me, a tidy workspace (or in this case house) means a tidy mind, which equals productivity.  We don't have the luxury of having a home office so I can't just close the door on the rest of the house and pretend I'm at work.

It might sounds a little crazy and probably means I work longer hours, but when you work from home you have to find the best solution that works for you.

Are you a freelance?  Do you work from home?  How do you make sure you stay focused?


11 comments:

  1. I'm recently starting to do a bit of work from home - I generally tutor but now I'm doing a bit of writing for some publications. I'm just like you though: Chores which I would usually be utterly disinclined to do suddenly look inviting when I'm supposed to be working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no discipline when I'm working at home - it's all a bit haphazard. I've recently had some extended leave from work and there's so much I could have done on the blog or with my writing but I've done nothing. I should really make a plan. But yes - the house is SUPER tidy now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be a freelance. Working from home would suit me down to the ground.

    Totally unrelated but I really like your blog design, it's so appealing, clean and professional.

    Mama Undone |Tiaras & Prozac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to do random jobs as my procrastination, I'll suddenly decide the spice rack needs ordering alphabetically - anything to take me away from what I should be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make lists! I try to pick 3 things to focus on at a time. Does it work? Kind of ;) I also really like your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so hard to stay focused when there are so many other things around, when I'm studying it's hard not to do things that I have probably been procrastinating doing for ages, just because it means I don't have to study. Though I'm the same when it comes to a clean home - tidy home, tidy mind! I can't work or concentrate on anything if there's mess to be tidied xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could stay that focussed! I probably would spend the whole day in front of the tele! I definitely am a procrastinator!

    Rahul

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could never work from home, I know I'd get so distracted by everything. You must have a fair bit of willpower to do it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11/3/14 18:03

    I find that if I get properly dressed and do my make-up and hair, I feel professional and work harder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely have to have self discipline when working at home. I have a 23 yo and a 12 yo. It's THEIR job to clean the house! It's easy for me to stay focused because I work early morning hours so my kids don't distract me because their sleep. And If I had the urge to run the vacuum, I don't because it would wake them up.
    But my main motivation to stay focused is that I NEVER want to work for ANYONE else EVER again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely have to have self discipline when working at home. I have a 23 yo and a 12 yo. It's THEIR job to clean the house! It's easy for me to stay focused because I work early morning hours so my kids don't distract me because their sleep. And If I had the urge to run the vacuum, I don't because it would wake them up.
    But my main motivation to stay focused is that I NEVER want to work for ANYONE else EVER again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments. Don't forget to follow me via twitter for blog updates or to ask me a specific question @agirliknow_

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...